There is no arguing that being bi-lingual or knowing more than one language is very cool! It opens up your mind and expands your horizons. And of-course once you know 2 languages, learning a 3rd one is not that difficult!
But sometimes, bi-linguals also face some peculiar situations – both good and bad
1. Sometimes you speak and your words unintentionally come out in your second language
2. You can watch the “Best Foreign Film” Oscar-nominated films and get really emotional because you actually know what’s going on
3. While traveling, your friends freak out that there are no signs in English, and you’re like “I got it!”
4. “Hey! Can you say something in [insert language here]!!!” Ummm…NO
5 People come with you to seek help with their foreign language homework all the time! And you just feel like:
6 Accidentally changing language mid-sentence.
7 Anything to do with accents: sounding American when you speak your foreign language, sounding foreign when you speak English, getting accents mixed up, etc. It’s a struggle.
8 Accidentally trying to use foreign words in Scrabble/Words with Friends.
9 Getting grammar rules mixed up.
10 Thinking something through in one language and then having to say it in the other. Can be painful!
11. People ask you to translate things ALL the time, and you wanna be like… GO AWAY
12. At times you and your best friend switch languages so you can speak in “code”
13. You know 2 times the swear words